Ever since Carlos Silva left a comment on my last post about this repository, I was left wondering if it wouldn’t be better to migrate my current VM to Scaleway. The price/specs seemed better and for the marginal difference of €1 I would get a dual-core virtual machine with 2GB of RAM and 50Gb of disk space.
After a couple of weeks of reflection, I bought a “Start1-S” VPS for €3,99/month and I’ve been (successfully) testing aurto to manage the repository updates. Things have been working out so great that I bought the userrepository.eu domain.
(I will add a certificate to the website, I promise!)
The address has all the instructions for you to add it to your system. But in case you can’t visit right now, here’s what you need to add to the /etc/pacman.conf file:
[aurto] Server = http://184.108.40.206 SigLevel = Optional TrustAll
I remind you, dear reader, that this repo only contains AUR packages.
Due to my own dumbness (I mistakenly deleted my Ubuntu partition), I installed Manjaro, using the Manjaro Architect release, on my laptop. I’d been thinking about doing it for a while and finally made it because I was too stupid to read the instructions from cfdisk. The shit you create yourself because you’re in a hurry…
Anyway, after installing Manjaro, I started reading a bit about this distro packaging and how I could leverage AUR and binary packages. Inspired by the work of Arcan1s, I bought a cheap VPS from OVH [almost €3/month] and built my repository using Arcan1s scripts. It took a bit of fiddling around the config file and the scripts to customize it to the VPS low raw power, but I eventually got it.
One thing you’ll notice is the packages are not signed. I do intend to start signing them but I don’t have a time frame for that just yet.
If you want to try out my repository, made from AUR packages, add this to your /etc/pacman.conf file:
Server = http://220.127.116.11/$arch
SigLevel = Optional TrustAll
The server checks for updates for the packages every 6 hours. This is mainly due to the fact that the VPS is low end – only 1vCPU @2GHz, 2GB of RAM and 20GB of disk space.
I’ve patched the next GTK theme for Gnome, for a screen resolution of 1366 x 768 pixels. The changes include reducing the CSD height, changing the padding on some buttons and decreasing Gnome Terminal tabs height.
There are still some bugs with the theme. For example, Eye of Gnome still has a huge CSD height. I’ll hopefully fix this in the near future, if doable via theming.