Geekices

Updates on Userrepository and Jarvis

Lately, I’ve been having some problems when building picom-ibhagwan-git and picom-tryone-git. The first one would build OK, but not the second one.

After a bit of debugging, I found out that it was a problem related to the way makepkg and git handle the cache when building these forks. This would also happen when adding the picom-git package: it would build because it’s the first package in alphabetical order and Jarvis builds the packages that way, but not the other two.

To fix this, the build() function no longer uses pushd and popd, allowing the script to work outside the package directory it’s building and delete some parts of the cache folder Jarvis uses.

This has the upside of allowing a better cache cleaning when building the packages. In a future commit, it will clean after itself better, up to a point it cleans every cache and artifact generated during a build.

And yes, $HOME/.npm and $HOME/.cargo I’m looking at you both.

There will be an exception, though: the makepkg.log file in every submodule folder because I use it as a log file for the package build.

Unrelated to this issue is the removal of the onivim2-git package. It takes some time to build and lately it would ask human intervention to confirm some steps, which is not compatible with the way Jarvis builds the packages and because the script is meant to be a tool to build the packages in an automated way.

One last thing: please become a Patron if you want to support userrepository.eu. Even €1 will help cover the monthly expenses, just over €15. If I get enough patrons, I’ll be able to upgrade the virtual machine to one with better specs, which will allow a higher package compression level, shorter build times and maybe even packaged kernels. Thank you!


Geekices

Updates on my Arch/Manjaro repository

Ever since Carlos Silva left a comment on my last post about this repository, I was left wondering if it wouldn’t be better to migrate my current VM to Scaleway. The price/specs seemed better and for the marginal difference of €1 I would get a dual-core virtual machine with 2GB of RAM and 50Gb of disk space.

After a couple of weeks of reflection, I bought a “Start1-S” VPS for €3,99/month and I’ve been (successfully) testing aurto to manage the repository updates. Things have been working out so great that I bought the userrepository.eu domain.

(I will add a certificate to the website, I promise!)

The address has all the instructions for you to add it to your system. But in case you can’t visit right now, here’s what you need to add to the /etc/pacman.conf file:

[aurto]
Server = http://51.15.233.8
SigLevel = Optional TrustAll

I remind you, dear reader, that this repo only contains AUR packages.


Geekices

I’ve built a Manjaro repository

Due to my own dumbness (I mistakenly deleted my Ubuntu partition), I installed Manjaro, using the Manjaro Architect release, on my laptop. I’d been thinking about doing it for a while and finally made it because I was too stupid to read the instructions from cfdisk. The shit you create yourself because you’re in a hurry…

Anyway, after installing Manjaro, I started reading a bit about this distro packaging and how I could leverage AUR and binary packages. Inspired by the work of Arcan1s, I bought a cheap VPS from OVH [almost €3/month] and built my repository using Arcan1s scripts. It took a bit of fiddling around the config file and the scripts to customize it to the VPS low raw power, but I eventually got it.

One thing you’ll notice is the packages are not signed. I do intend to start signing them but I don’t have a time frame for that just yet.

If you want to try out my repository, made from AUR packages, add this to your /etc/pacman.conf file:

[bruno]
Server = http://51.77.244.118/$arch
SigLevel = Optional TrustAll

The server checks for updates for the packages every 6 hours. This is mainly due to the fact that the VPS is low end – only 1vCPU @2GHz, 2GB of RAM and 20GB of disk space.