Geekices

Updates on Userrepository and Jarvis

Lately, I’ve been having some problems when building picom-ibhagwan-git and picom-tryone-git. The first one would build OK, but not the second one.

After a bit of debugging, I found out that it was a problem related to the way makepkg and git handle the cache when building these forks. This would also happen when adding the picom-git package: it would build because it’s the first package in alphabetical order and Jarvis builds the packages that way, but not the other two.

To fix this, the build() function no longer uses pushd and popd, allowing the script to work outside the package directory it’s building and delete some parts of the cache folder Jarvis uses.

This has the upside of allowing a better cache cleaning when building the packages. In a future commit, it will clean after itself better, up to a point it cleans every cache and artifact generated during a build.

And yes, $HOME/.npm and $HOME/.cargo I’m looking at you both.

There will be an exception, though: the makepkg.log file in every submodule folder because I use it as a log file for the package build.

Unrelated to this issue is the removal of the onivim2-git package. It takes some time to build and lately it would ask human intervention to confirm some steps, which is not compatible with the way Jarvis builds the packages and because the script is meant to be a tool to build the packages in an automated way.

One last thing: please become a Patron if you want to support userrepository.eu. Even €1 will help cover the monthly expenses, just over €15. If I get enough patrons, I’ll be able to upgrade the virtual machine to one with better specs, which will allow a higher package compression level, shorter build times and maybe even packaged kernels. Thank you!


Geekices

Status on userrepository changes

It took me a while to update you about the latest changes to my Arch and Arch-compatible Linux distributions repository. But first, let me apologize for the delay: work, personal life and, for about 3 weeks now, a horrible back pain (that just doesn’t stop, even with an handful of medication) have kept me from doing this in the time frame I expected.

First on the “agenda”, I experimented with increasing the zstd compression level for the packages like I said I would do in my last post about the repository. The trade-off was not worth it: the increase in packaging time was far superior to the small decrease in package size. So, I’ll keep the zstd compression level to “-12” in the foreseeable future.

Also, up to a few days ago, I would manually update the packages and, from time to time, do a full build. Now, I’m using a cron job and pueue to manage the tasks and it always does a full build.

If you don’t know pueue, this application is a command-line task management tool for sequential and parallel execution of long-running tasks. Besides adding tasks, you can watch the logs for them, the exit codes and even follow what the task is doing (just like using “tail -f /destination/file“). But pueue can do much more. Go check it out at Github.

Userrepository.eu also has a few more packages. For example: vimtips, wego, wttr, plymouth and performance-tweaks. All of them are at AUR and at the Git repository where I have userrepository.eu sources, if you want to take a look at the commits (just ignore some of the commit messages, because I can be lazy with them at times ^^’).

One last thing: please become a Patron if you want to support userrepository.eu. Even €1 will help cover the monthly expenses, just over €15. If I get enough patrons, I’ll be able to upgrade the virtual machine to one with better specs, which will allow a higher package compression level, shorter build times and maybe even packaged kernels. Thank you!


Geekices

Updates on userrepository

Since the last post about my Arch (and Arch-compatible distributions) binary repository, I’ve added a few more packages. Some examples are the Mullvad VPN desktop client and nimdow, a window manager written in the Nim programming language. Or Emptty, an amazing display manager that I encourage you to try.

Despite adding more packages, the compilation and compression time only had a small increase and I’m still below the 5 hour mark. And I’ve kept the zstd “-12” compression level.

Right now, I’m doing a full build to time it again. If it keeps below the 5 hour mark, I’ll try to increase the compression level to “-15” to see if the trade-off is worth it. If so, you’ll have smaller packages, allowing you to save bandwidth.

I’ll keep you updated as soon as I make the change. But that might take a few days, because work and stuff.

One last thing: please become a Patron if you want to support userrepository.eu. Even €1 will help cover the monthly expenses, just over €15. If I get enough patrons, I’ll be able to upgrade the virtual machine to one with better specs, which will allow a higher package compression level, shorter build times and maybe even packaged kernels. Thank you! 🙂


Geekices

Updates on my Arch/Manjaro repository

Ever since Carlos Silva left a comment on my last post about this repository, I was left wondering if it wouldn’t be better to migrate my current VM to Scaleway. The price/specs seemed better and for the marginal difference of €1 I would get a dual-core virtual machine with 2GB of RAM and 50Gb of disk space.

After a couple of weeks of reflection, I bought a “Start1-S” VPS for €3,99/month and I’ve been (successfully) testing aurto to manage the repository updates. Things have been working out so great that I bought the userrepository.eu domain.

(I will add a certificate to the website, I promise!)

The address has all the instructions for you to add it to your system. But in case you can’t visit right now, here’s what you need to add to the /etc/pacman.conf file:

[aurto]
Server = http://51.15.233.8
SigLevel = Optional TrustAll

I remind you, dear reader, that this repo only contains AUR packages.